Video marketing is a highly productive means of reaching your clients, especially on social media. Today there is Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok, YouTube, and other social media platforms. LinkedIn even lets business owners share video content with their followers. Let’s take a look at how these different social media platforms can be an effective vehicle for social media marketing.
Video ads started taking off in about 2015 and have been a huge success for advertisers. In 2007, YouTube used as much Internet bandwidth as the entire Internet used in 2000. Video is the most commonly consumed content on the Internet today.
Facebook & Instagram
By and far, Facebook and Instagram are the largest social media platforms, both in terms of dollars spent by advertisers and the amount of content that is consumed. In the United States, more than 120 million people use Instagram. More than 71% of Americans, 240 million people, use Facebook. Video marketing on Facebook and Instagram can be highly effective because:
- Facebook and Instagram allow advertisers up to 15 different placements for their video ads.
- People tend to consume video content on these platforms at a ratio of 10:1 in comparison to other types of content.
- People also have the option of sharing video content that they like with friends.
In 2020, Facebook ad revenue stood at about $86 billion. There is a huge opportunity for video marketing on Facebook.
TikTok is the newest video marketing platform for social media. This platform is built on the production and sharing of short videos. TikTok videos tend to be very short spurt of the moment videos. Influencers tend to go on TikTok to showcase a product. TikTok revenue is expected to be over $5 billion in 2022. TikTok has several different news feed placements that lets you put your advertising in front of potential customers and gives users the opportunity to target ads based upon interests and other demographics.
Pinterest is also an enticing platform for video marketing. Pinterest is a great place for product showcasing, whether you do an image pin or a video pin. People who are on Pinterest will often be somewhat older than users on other social media websites. 38% of Pinterest users are in the 50 to 60 year demographic. While the majority of Pinterest users are female, male users are also starting to be more active on the platform. For video marketing on Pinterest, brand awareness is often a primary goal for companies.
While YouTube is not always considered a social media platform, it has many different benefits to video marketers. You can do text ads on YouTube, but also put your videos in front of a wide variety of different people. For advertisers, YouTube can be a very effective medium for marketing. 70% of people have bought a product after seeing a YouTube ad. Even though YouTube ads are not a huge revenue generator for Google, advertisers spent over $6.86 billion on YouTube in 2021.
Even though LinkedIn is often considered lower on the totem pole of social media platforms, it can be an enticing platform for advertisers. With over 190 million users, it is a large social media platform in the United States. LinkedIn, on average, brings in about $8 billion per year. It’s a great place for showcasing corporate videos and is a great medium for B2B marketing.
Twitter is not the most popular social media platform, but it is still a great vessel for video marketing. Many people use Twitter videos for brand awareness. Twitter followers tend to consume video content for a wide variety of different purposes, primarily news. Explainer videos and editorial video ads will do particularly well on Twitter.
What Types of Video Ads Can You Run On Social Media?
Basically speaking, you can run different types of ads on different social media platforms. These video marketing ads can help you do a plethora of different things, including:
- Brand awareness: These ads will put your videos in front of more people. People may or may not engage with your brand, but they will see your video.
- Video views: Some social media platforms have the ability to show your ads with the goal of getting more video views and engagement.
- Consideration and traffic: If you want visits to your website, consideration and traffic advertising objectives will use your video to bring people to your website.
- Conversion ads: Conversion ads with video will bring people to your website who are likely to buy a product or service or become a lead for your business.
- App campaigns; Video marketing with this objective will get people to download and use your mobile or tablet application to get more business.
What Types of Video Work Well On Social Media?
If you don’t have a huge social media ad budget, you may want to consider the live videos and streaming. Facebook Live and YouTube LIve tend to get a lot of engagement. They also tend to get better engagement. In 2017, 1 out of 5 videos on Facebook was a live video. Live videos tend to get about 80% more engagement than other videos on social media. Live videos tend to be great for brand activations and other events where you are putting your product in front of new people.
Explainer videos are a great way to showcase your product or services in paid ads. These videos are best if they are short, concise, and get your value proposition across very quickly.
User-generated content is also becoming popular for customers and brands to connect. You can invite customers to post a video reply to a social media post.
Another great way to reach customers with video advertising is to have contests, promotions, and other activities that are designed to get customers to interact with your business.
Organic Video Posts Versus Paid Video Posts
Organic video posts are often an attractive way for smaller businesses without a huge advertising budget to reach followers on social media. Here are some guidelines for producing video content for your followers who have been loyal to your brand for years:
- When producing video content, 70% of your posts should be educational content that your brand curates or produces.
- 20% of your video content should be shared from other brands and sources.
- 10% of your video content should be outright promotional for your business.
How effective is non-paid content on Facebook and other social media platforms? As a rule of thumb, organic video content reaches about 5.2% of Facebook users. That means that every time you place an organic video post, one out of about twenty of your social media followers will see it.
What is the best time to do social media video marketing? The answer really depends on your customers and the industry that you are in. For some industries, such as consumer goods, you should consider running brand awareness ads on Wednesdays in the afternoon. For conversion, Friday afternoons are a great time to run ads. You should A/B test your creative and run ads at different times and days to see when your business gets the best results.
What Do You Need for a Good Video Ad?
Video ads need to really resonate with your customers to help them connect with your brand. You need a video that is sharp, crisp, and gets the point across quickly. Here are some guidelines that will help your brand succeed with video marketing:
- Make sure that your video is an appropriate length; on average, 30 seconds is a great video length for social media.
- Make sure that your video is rendered correctly with the right size. Poorly rendered video will result in a less than desirable viewing experience for your social media followers.
- Make sure that your video is well-edited for your viewers, with the right colors and audio mixing.
Does Your Business Need Video Marketing?
Every business needs some sort of video marketing in its advertising budget. Videos tend to be the most engaged content online in 2022, with more than 80% of people viewing at least one hour of video content per day. Traditionally, video was not used in B2B marketing, but it’s become a primary tool for businesses looking to grow their reach.
Video ads are a great way for businesses to warm up customers to a new product or service through social media.